Dear friends, dear colleagues!
The EBSA2021 meeting in Vienna is history now. We have spent five wonderful days together. 435 on-site participants and 267 virtual participants attended the meeting. 170 outstanding speakers presented the state-of-the-art of their scientific field. We had the opportunity to discuss talks and collaborations on the spot. Our evening poster discussions with snacks & wine were also a great success!
In particular, young attendees who - due to Corona-related travel restrictions - thus far only attended digital meetings were excited about the various opportunities to share information at our on-site meeting. Much enthusiasm and the joy of having overcome a 1.5-year "dry spell" were omnipresent. Therefore, we can assume with a high degree of certainty that purely digital conferences will not replace such on-site congresses as EBSA2021.
On behalf of the Austrian Biophysical Society, I would like to express my deep gratitude and admiration to everyone involved in the preparation and realization of this stimulating congress – to our professional organization team from RAM Columbus headed by Ms. Renate Androsch-Holzer, the ACV team, and Motto Catering and to our young and enthusiastic student team. Our anti-Corona measures proved to be effective – the meeting did not contribute to disease spreading.
Many well-known companies, especially Bruker, Boehringer Ingelheim, Elements, and Beckman Coulter, provided much-needed support for EBSA2021.
The congress benefited from the organizational and financial support of the European Biophysical Societies Association (EBSA), which also provided 60 bursaries for young scientists. Biophysics Austria awarded three and Biophysical Society of America - represented by Jennifer L. Pesanelli - twelve poster prizes.
Finally, I would like to thank all participants present in Vienna for their critical input to the on-site congress. I hope that the virtual participants, who also contributed many excellent talks, posters, and discussions, were infected by the on-site spirit and felt included.
See you again in Stockholm 2023!
- Advanced optical microscopy
- Advances and applications in cryo-electron microscopy
- Biomimetic nanopores
- Breakthrough methods in molecular-scale biophysics
- Cell & Tissue Biophysics
- Channels and Ca2+ Signaling
- Cytoskeleton / Motor proteins
- DNA architecture and gene regulation/ gene network dynamics and signaling
- Interfacial protons
- Ionic liquids, biomolecules and cells
- Light as a tool in biophysics
- Lipid-protein Interactions
- Liquid-liquid phase separation & intrinsically disordered proteins
- Medical Biophysics / Imaging
- Membrane active peptides
- Membrane architecture & asymmetry
- Membrane signal transduction
- Membrane transporters & channels
- Methodological advances in biomolecular simulations
- New & notable
- Protein translocation, assembly and folding
- Quantification of molecular forces
- Synthetic cell
- Virus biophysics
The Organizing Committee gladly announces that EBSA2021 is under the patronage of the Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz.
650 submitted abstracts
435 onsite participants
267 virtual participants